Thursday, July 19, 2012

All Burned Up! aka Don't Buy That House at 1029 27th Street

Ok does this look like a nice house to you?
1029 27th St, Cleveland TN 37311 - House for Sale
Yep. It looks nice. And at a low price of $50,000 (half of it's last sale price) I figured I had a real bargain, The inside was a little rough, needing new carpet, and paint, but nothing real bad. The basement was awesome, fully furnished with a kitchen, jaccuzi, and everything.

I put in a bid, and got it! The only thing that saved me was the inspection. When I got the report I was sure glad I put that in the agreement. Check this out:


The house was in a major fire, the attic all burnt up, rafters crispy and charcoal. Wow! They only replaced the rafters right above the entrance to the attic. Coincidence? I doubt it. Even the decking the shingles were nailed to was crispy as burnt toast.

I don't understand how someone could legally sell this house, much less how a realtor could in good conscience sell it without mentioning this stuff.

In the kitchen, if you peeled back a bit of wallpaper, behind it was black as coal. (note to self: wallpaper could be indication of coverup).

So now I have some advice (for me and anyone thinking of buying a home):

  • Demand an inspection. In the contract.
  • Look in the attic
  • Watch out for wallpaper
  • Realtors aren't always looking out for your best interests
  • As they say, sometimes if if looks to good to be true, it probably is
Buy hey, at least I'm only out of a couple hundred for an inspection, instead of $50,000 for a burnt piece of toast.

No comments: